Sunday, June 21, 2009

Module 1 Stars In Your Eyes
















Star Definitions:

"A celestial body that appears as a fixed point of light, gaseous luminous and of great mass."
"A planet or configuration of planets that is held in astrology to influence one's fortunes; destiny, fortune"
Often portraited as an astrisk *
"An actor or actress playing the leading role, a brilliant performer"

For me, my love for the stars began as a child. We stargazed and looked for Orion's belt or the little bear and became very familiar with the Big and Little Dippers. I looked to the stars for answers, inspiration and to reach out to those far away and gone from this Earth. I learned that five and multi-pointed stars occur throughout nature; starfish, phytoplankton, microcrystals, even snowflakes. Throughout religions the star is a symbol of faith or power. For me, stars express pattern and possibility. Many cultures have "seen" symbols formed of the stars, heros and gods. I've always loved looking at shapes and connections in the stars above and the infinite possiblilities.



Cross Definitions:
"Geometrical figure consisting of two lines perpendicular to each other, dividing one or two of the lines in half. The lines usually run horizontally and vertically; if they run diagonally it is technically termed a saltire."
"One of the most ancient human symbols and used in many religions."
"A hybridizing of unlike individuals or strains"
"contrary; opposed; marked by bad temper"
I have had many experiences at work with cross individuals and can usually handle them pretty well and diffuse the situation. I have also been at many crossroads in my life and had to make decisions as to which path to follow, including decisions which have lead me to Distant Stitch.
Sentimentally, one of my my favorite crosses was the pearl inlay cross that I fondly remember resting on my catholic grandmother's bedside table. It always seemed like such a magical and valuable treasure.
As you can see above, there are so many crosses and stars in nature and symbolism around us. There are cellular stars like the nine point microscopic star found in the cells of seaweed off the coast of Baha'i. There are snowflakes that form perfect geometric asterisks and stafish that are naturally 5 pointed and more. Crosses are frequent religious symbols, but also patterned in the cracks of the earth, the structure of plant growth, even bark formation on the trunk of some elm trees. It's amazing what you begin to notice when you are searching your surroundings for specific shapes!

No comments:

Post a Comment