Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Assemblage Continued

Well, I have now learned how to erase my unpublished blog by trying to delete one of the photos, and that was after waiting about 40 minutes for my photos to upload through dial-up! Thanks to the Blog Gods for the lesson!!



Back to the workshop:



Our first series of tasks led to my first sample of paper lace below. It is made from a combination of papers from my stash.



This sample was a jumping off point to opening the mind to other posibilities. I had a very difficult time relating paper to fabric as inspiration. It seems funny considering my years of patternmaking and relating fabric flow into paper, but this method confussed and blocked me. I was coming from a very literal and pictoral frame od mind and, with Sian's help, (thanks again!), had to loosen up and allow myself to go with the flow and see what developed. These are the progression samples and the final lace in the center.



I was surprised and thrilled with the final outcome. I was rushed to finish at the end of the day and, given time and more familiarity with my new machine, I would have done things a little differently, but I love it and the method to get there. This is the piece in the drying stage. I will mount it at some point and post a photo of the finished product.


We also played with dyeing paper and fabric using Potassium Permanganate. The color is a lovely brown ranging from rusty tones to an espresso depending on fabric and dyeing time. Below are two assemblage pieces that I created and discharged. The element in the window is a photo of my daughter on a swing. It was a wonderful workshop that I highly recommend, especially for the chance to work with Sian. Meeting her and learning from makes me even more excited about participating in the Certificate Program, and even more determined to take the Summer Program in the future!! It was also a wonderful crew to work with and great conversation!




Thanks again to you all and I hope that we meet and have a chance to play again in the near future!

No comments:

Post a Comment